Spa Bolton, a history-filled location.
J.C. Willard Sawmill
J.C. Willard Sawmill was founded in Bolton in 1860. At this time, the village was named Willard’s Mills, and the Missisquoi river was named Black River. The sawmill was built next to the waterfall, where a dam and tank were erected to operate the sawmill. The other side of the river used to have a flour mill.
Willard, from Massachusetts, exploited the mills with his sons Charles, Milo and Frederick. They benefited from the train tracks to ship their wood products : butter boxes, hat boxes, clothespin, lightmatches, laundry boards, handles, etc.
The mill’s exploitation ended in 1907 after a fire that caused the loss of hydraulic power.
Since 2001, Spa Bolton offers a privileged access to the waterfall and bed of the Missisquoi river, as well as outdoor hot baths, saunas and massage therapy services, available all year long.
Claude Provost, former Montreal Canadiens team member
Spa Bolton is dedicated to the memory of former Montreal Canadiens team member, Claude Provost, deceased on april 17th 1984.
He has won 9 Stanley cups and was the first winner of the Bill Masterton trophy honoring the most honest and hardworking players.
Hoping to spend more time with his father, Claude Provost Jr often accompanied him to his training in Montreal’s Palestre Nationale.
It was at this time, aged only 6 years old, that Spa Bolton’s owner and founder discovered the benefits of saunas.
Claude Provost Sr is a Hockey legend with 5 Stanley cups won from 1956 to 1960 while playing with Montreal Canadiens. He might be the only player from this team to not be honored in Toronto’s hockey hall of fame, but he is the only one with a Spa dedicated to his memory.
To the athlete, man, friend and father he was!
Your son forever,
Claude Provost Jr.
Owner and founder of Spa Bolton.